3D-Printing Speaker Enclosures

Our computer was connected to a cheap-ish sound-bar for quite a while now. The sound was decent but I wanted to get something of higher quality. Regular bookshelf speakers came to mind but I wasn’t willing to spend 200+€ on a good pair. Maybe I could make my own? Since I don’t really have all the woodworking tools, space, and experience, I looked into 3D-printing and found interesting looking enclosures like this one. Unfortunately, many builds use drivers that are hard to come by in Germany. Therefore, I decided to instead look for German speaker builds. Sure enough, I found Acoustic Design Online which is shop that sells DIY speaker kits online with everything except the wood included. There, I found the Mona 21 set that had reviews pointing out the great performance for the small size. One customer had even tried out a 3D-printed design of the satellite speakers already. I didn’t really dig the egg-shaped design but liked the idea of also printing flexible seals.

So I ordered a set and instead designed my own model based on the original rectangular dimensions of the wood-based speakers. Instead of the 19mm MDF board, I used PLA with 10mm walls and a 10% gyroid infill. That turned out to be plenty - at least for a satellite speaker design.

This project also gave me the opportunity to play with methods of connecting parts like trapping nuts or tapping threads. After one iteration, I ended up with a design that I liked.

For the subwoofer, I wanted to go with 3D-printing as well after having read about this project. But the same problem as before was prevalent: The driver was hard to come by and I didn’t think I could redesign the model for the driver of the Mona 21. So instead, I tried out the Hornbach wood-cutting service which allows for sizes just as small as is required for this design. The service was precise to the millimeter (I only had to re-order one part that was off) and is definitely not operating at cost since I paid less than 8€ for all the parts I required. Half a tube of glue, some help by Torsten, and 3 hours later, I ended up with a subwoofer that is pushing a lot of air and doesn’t seem to be any worse than the professional one in the living room.

Oh and the whole thing runs off a cheap class-D amplifier board for 20€ that easily reaches a volume that’s inappropriate for an apartment.

Overall, this was a fun project that taught me a lot about speaker design and 3D-printing. I’d definitely try this again when I need another pair of speakers.
I’ve posted all the models and the OpenSCAD sources in case anyone wants to build them themselves.